Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Biographies

My name is Jay Williams, I'm 36, have a BS in Computer Science (Saint Martin's College, 1994), and work for a Software Consulting firm in Seattle called Avanade. I've always enjoyed the outdoors, but have never attempted anything on the scale of a two-week hiking trip. When I was younger, I snow skied, water skied, played volleyball, softball, football (all casually throughout high school), and soccer in eighth grade. When I was a teenager, I tore ligaments in my left knee snow skiing, and that knee has never been the same. That is my biggest concern for this hike.

I got into photography about 7 years ago and am very involved with it. It's probably my longest running hobby (and most expensive hobby, if only by a small margin). I actually even do it on a part-time, professional basis (see my photography website). That explains why I'm taking such a big pile of camera equipment.

I met Matthew Powell back in 1993, a couple years after he joined the Navy (1991) and was stationed in Bremerton Naval Shipyard. He was in the Navy and lived in Washington for 6 years. Matt was a Reactor Operator (with an Electronics Technician rating) on the USS Nimitz, CVN68.

We spent a lot of time together during his stay in Washington, hiking, playing volleyball, walleyball, and doing various and sundry other activities together.

After he was discharged from the Navy (quite honorably, I might add), he went to college at Cedarville University in Cedarville, Ohio, (much closer to his home in Fort Wayne, Indiana) double majoring in Computer Science and math. Matt is a glutton for punishment (I'm hoping he'll agree to be my Sherpa on this hike). He has since worked in both Ohio and Florida (his current home) for Northrop Grumman, famed maker of many military systems and components of systems, such as the A-10 WarthogAegis destroyer, and B-2 Stealth Bomber.

Matt is planning on moving back to Washington some day, and this hike may be just the impetus he needs to get it done.


Photos of the Hike

No comments:

Post a Comment